Christian Clinical Meditation
“Be still (stop your striving), and know that I AM God.” – Psalm 46:10
Christianity has a rich history of meditative and contemplative practices. From our patriarch Isaac in Genesis 24:36 who is described as going “lasu’ach” in the field – a term understood by many commentators as some type of meditative practice to later monastic practices, God’s children have always valued time alone with God, meditating on His Word and on His Being as revealed in Holy Scripture.
Meditation group starts promptly every Thursday at 6:00 pm.
- Please bring your own meditation cushion or a couple of Mexican blankets to sit on. Chairs are limited.
- Water and non-sugar, non-caffeine, non-carbonated drinks only.
- Earbuds or earplugs are optional. Limit music to bilateral music.
- The structured format includes:
- body scan (10 minutes)
- sitting meditation #1 (20 minutes)
- instruction (30 minutes)
- sitting meditation #2 (20 minutes)
- We will end at 7:30 pm.
- Fee is $35 per session or
About The Embrace New Life (ENL) Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program (MBSR)
MBSR was developed by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979 at the UMass Medical School to help people learn to relate to whatever is happening in their lives with ease, compassion, & clarity. Since then more than 100 academic studies have examined the physiological, psychological, and inter-relational benefits of mindfulness. There is much evidence to show the structural and functional changes in the brain that take place after eight-weeks of MBSR programming for better focus, problem solving, and empathy among other benefits in the participants. For more information about the MBSR benefits click here.
ENL-MBSR is Not
- Purely Relaxation, although you may start living with more ease
- Religious, although it could deepen your spirituality
- Positive thinking, although you may start noticing all the positive things in your life
The ENL-MBSR is
- A blend of MBSR and Therapeutic Processing
- This course is an educational program based on experiential learning in a safe environment
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching & mindful movement
- Group dialogue & discussions aimed at processing stress and enhancing awareness in everyday life
- A small dose of multimedia to support learning
- Daily home assignments
- Downloadable audio instructions & a home practice manual
Because this is a clinical group participants will be required to join the group by referral of a therapist or physician. No walk-ins are permitted. As an LPC-Supervisor, I may have LPC-Interns. LPC-Interns may be invited to participate in the ENL-MBSR group, but not process in the group.
In order to participate in ENL-MBSR, you will need to print and sign:
- ENL-MBSR Informed Consent
- ENL-MBSR Privacy Statement
prior to beginning group.
NOTE: Breaching the confidentiality of any group member or material that they process will result in immediate termination from group and a referral to another MBSR practitioner or therapist.
Participants are required to pay $35 per class. Payment can be made by check at time of class or online after the MBSR class.
- Reserve Your Meditation Spot each Thursday at: https://elizabeth-davis.clientsecure.me/client_portal/
- Make Online payments at: https://elizabeth-davis.clientsecure.me/client_portal/client_accesses/sign_in
What to Bring
- A meditation cushion and/or meditation chair. You can bring Mexican blankets if you do not have these.
If you want to order meditation supplies, visit: https://embracenewlife.com/index.php/some-of-our-favorite-things/
- Your ENL-MBSR Handbook, notebook, pen or pencil
ENL-MBSR Group Location
Please note that these classes are taking place at “Living Springs”, just 2 buildings down from Elizabeth’s counseling office. The address is: 6700 Horizon Road, Heath, Tx 75032. (Take path, on left, behind Smile Ranch Dentistry entrance.)
About The Facilitator
Elizabeth Davis, MA. LPC-S has been practicing contemplative meditation for twelve years.
Elizabeth is working on her Psy.D. in Marriage & Family and continues to research topics related to mental health and healthy relating. She has taught MBSR & mindfulness programs in a clinical setting at Timberlawn Psychiatric Hospital in Dallas. You can learn more about her here.
Embrace New Life, LLC coordinates biannual mindful retreats to Yo Ranch in Kerrville, Texas (http://www.yoranchhotel.com/) in the early Fall and The Treehouse Cottages in Eureaka, Arkansas (http://www.treehousecottages.com/) in early Spring. There are separate fees for the retreats.
These retreats are open to ENL-MBSR group members and one traveling guest. Call Elizabeth at 972-979-3988 for details.