About The Embrace New Life (ENL) Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program (MBSR)
MBSR was developed by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979 at the UMass Medical School to help people learn to relate to whatever is happening in their lives with ease, compassion, & clarity. Since then more than 100 academic studies have examined the physiological, psychological, and inter-relational benefits of mindfulness. There is much evidence to show the structural and functional changes in the brain that take place after eight-weeks of MBSR programming for better focus, problem solving, and empathy among other benefits in the participants. For more information about the MBSR benefits click here.
ENL-MBSR is Not
- Purely Relaxation, although you may start living with more ease
- Religious, although it could deepen your spirituality
- Positive thinking, although you may start noticing all the positive things in your life
The ENL-MBSR is
- A blend of MBSR and Therapeutic Processing
- This course is an educational program based on experiential learning in a safe environment
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching & mindful movement
- Group dialogue & discussions aimed at processing stress and enhancing awareness in everyday life
- A small dose of multimedia to support learning
- Daily home assignments
- Downloadable audio instructions & a home practice manual
Because this is a clinical group participants will be required to join the group by referral of a therapist or physician. No walk-ins are permitted. As an LPC-Supervisor, I may have LPC-Interns. LPC-Interns may be invited to participate in the ENL-MBSR group, but not process in the group.
In order to participate in ENL-MBSR, you will need to print and sign:
- ENL-MBSR Informed Consent
- ENL-MBSR Privacy Statement
prior to beginning group.
NOTE: Breaching the confidentiality of any group member or material that they process will result in immediate termination from group and a referral to another MBSR practitioner or therapist.
Participants are required to pay $35 per class. Payment can be made by check at time of class or online after the MBSR class.
What to Bring
ENL-MBSR Group Location
Please note that these classes are taking place at “Living Springs”, just 2 buildings down from Elizabeth’s counseling office. The address is: 6700 Horizon Road, Heath, Tx 75032. (Take path, on left, behind Smile Ranch Dentistry entrance.)
About The Facilitator
Elizabeth Davis, MA. LPC-S has been practicing contemplative meditation for twelve years.
Elizabeth is working on her Psy.D. in Marriage & Family and continues to research topics related to mental health and healthy relating. She has taught MBSR & mindfulness programs in a clinical setting at Timberlawn Psychiatric Hospital in Dallas. You can learn more about her here.
Embrace New Life, LLC coordinates biannual mindful retreats to Yo Ranch in Kerrville, Texas (http://www.yoranchhotel.com/) in the early Fall and The Treehouse Cottages in Eureaka, Arkansas (http://www.treehousecottages.com/) in early Spring. There are separate fees for the retreats.
These retreats are open to ENL-MBSR group members and one traveling guest. Call Elizabeth at 972-979-3988 for details.